How To Choose The Right Physio For You.
Choosing the right physio for you is important to ensure you get the best outcomes. It can be a bit of a minefield finding the physio who is best able to cater to your needs however with so many options out there (it also means that there is definitely the right fit for everyone!). Choosing the wrong physio can lead to poorer patient outcomes, increased frustration and sometimes cost. We’ve put together a checklist to help you to select the best physio for you and your needs.
Below we have compiled a list of items to help you to select the right Physiotherapist for you.
- Ensure they are properly qualified. This should go without saying, and a profession like physiotherapy is highly regulated to ensure that we are all appropriately qualified and up to date with the latest research so we don’t waste time with outdated or ineffective treatment, and carry full professional indemnity insurance with.
- Ask your friends and family. A referral by a trusted family member or colleague goes a long way to making sure you are seeing someone you can trust. Here at Peak most of our new patients find us after a friend or colleague or gym buddy told them about us!
- Special interest in the area you require? It really helps to find a physio whose interests match yours, this means they are more likely to understand what you are going through, and where you want to get to; which only helps you to get there faster!
- Comprehensive consultations. The last thing you want to feel is rushed especially at your initial appointment with your physio. Find out how long and what the initial consult will cover and if private consultation rooms are used. Peak Health Services allows 45 minutes for initial consultations, ensuring plenty of time for each patient based on their unique needs. This includes time for us to really listen to your story, provide a detailed musculoskeletal assessment followed by comprehensive and evidence-based treatment. Follow-up appointments are a minimum of half an hour, ensuring ongoing comprehensive care throughout your entire management.
- Don’t choose on price alone. We would advise that choosing your Physio on price alone is not the most appropriate way. As the old saying goes – you get what you pay for! The best physios not only do extensive undergraduate training but also complete ongoing professional development in the form of post graduate courses, regular research article reviews and regular inservice training. Sometimes this additional time and effort is reflected in the pricing structure and value delivered. Also the cost is reflective of an expert physio’s time, a cheaper cost may be reflective of shorter consultation times, or of a practitioner who is less willing to spend time outside of your appointment liaising with your other medical and health care practitioners, coaches, trainers, surgeon etc. Remember, if you end up seeing the wrong Physio because they are cheaper then it will end up costing you more in the long run if their treatment is ineffective.
Choosing the right physio is vital for your health and wellness, so we hope you found our tips above useful for helping you to choose wisely.
The team at Peak Health are committed to obtaining the best possible outcomes as we partner with our patients on their journey to recovery.